Millennials and your Roadmap to Retirement
Retirement may seem far in your future; however, it will be here in the blink of an eye. Make sure you’re prepared with these 6 tips.
As a millennial, you are changing how the world works, and soon enough, you’ll change how retirement works too. But preparation is key. Here are 6 tips to keep in mind.
1. Millennials have more opportunities than ever before, so figuring out exactly what you want from your retirement is key. Whether it's going back to school, opening a new business, or just relaxing, 53 percent see retirement as the beginning of a new phase in life.
2. Saving! Forty percent of millennials expect to retire when they reach a specific financial milestone, as opposed to an age, so the sooner you start saving the better.
3. Set up a retirement account, also known as an IRA, Roth IRA, 401(k) or 403(b). Setting up automatic deposits or talking to employers about retirement benefits are both smart ways you can bulk up your savings. But of course, there are many options.
4. Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket. Twenty-two percent of millennials say they've privately invested money, but it's always a good idea to talk to banking professionals about new and better ways to invest.
5. It is all about slowing down – your spending that is! More than 44 percent of eighteen- to twenty-three-year-olds have already spent more on coffee than they’ve put into their retirement fund.
6. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice! millennials may be the most tech savvy, but that doesn’t mean they are financially savvy, so it's never a bad idea to reach out to someone for help.