Spooky season is upon us, and you don’t have to break the bank to enjoy it! So, get your broomstick ready, grab your bag for treats, and learn about budget-friendly Halloween fun!
DIY DecorationsCreating your own DIY Halloween decorations can be a fun and budget-friendly way to get into the spooky spirit. Here are some ideas:
- Cheesecloth Ghosts: Drape cheesecloth over a wire frame or balloon, then spray with stiffening spray and let dry to create ghostly figures!
- Silhouette Cutouts: Use black construction paper to create silhouettes of bats or other Halloween figures. You could even use fishing wire to hang them up!
- Jack-o’-Lanterns: Carve pumpkins using pumpkin carving kits or basic tools.
- Candy Corn Garland: Thread together candy corn-colored paper triangles or felt pieces to create a festive garland.
- Pumpkin Tower: Stack pumpkins in varying sizes and paint them with different patterns!
- Witch Broom Door Hanger: Attach a bundle of twigs or branches to a stick to create a witch’s broom door hanger!
Raid your closet for clothing items that can be repurposed into costumes! Here are some ideas that won’t scare your wallet:
- Scarecrow: Wear old jeans and a flannel shirt. Draw stitches and patches on your face with makeup.
- Witch: A black dress can be the perfect foundation! Add a pointy hat, black tights, and a broomstick!
- Tourist: Wear your best Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts, socks with sandals, and a sun hat. Lastly, add a camera and a map!
- Lumberjack: Wear a plaid shirt, jeans, and a beanie. Add a drawn-on beard with makeup and carry a foam axe.
- 80s Aerobics Instructor: Wear bright colored leggings, a leotard, leg warmers, and a sweatband for a retro aerobics’ instructor costume
Pumpkin Carving PartyGather your friends and family for a pumpkin carving party! Ask each guest to bring their own pumpkin and carving tools. Turn on some music, provide snacks, and make it a memorable evening of crafting and carving.
DIY Haunted HouseWith a little creativity you can transform your backyard, garage, or living room. Use old bed sheets, cardboard boxes, and clever lighting to create spooky scenes and unexpected scares. Ask your friends and family to participate as costumed characters!
Spooky Movie NightA movie night is the perfect way to celebrate Halloween and get into the spooky spirit. Here’s how:
- Choose free or low-cost streaming services: Find a streaming platform that is free or has a low subscription fee.
- Outdoor Movie Night: If you have a projector, consider hosting an outdoor movie night in your backyard! Invite friends and family to bring their own chairs or blankets and create a spooky atmosphere with candles and lanterns.
- Homemade Popcorn: Popcorn is a classic movie snack, and budget friendly. Make your own popcorn at home with kernels, butter, and your favorite seasonings. It’s much cheaper than buying pre-packaged popcorn.
- BYO Snacks: Ask your guests to bring their own favorite snacks or drinks to share
Halloween is a time for imagination, creativity, and fun- not overspending. Embrace the spirit of Halloween on a budget, and you’ll discover that the best memories are often the ones that cost the least. Happy Halloween!