Imagine eagerly waiting for a package only to find it missing from your doorstep. Unfortunately this happens when porch pirates strike, stealing delivered packages before you can get to them. Learn how to stay alert and take preventative measures to keep delivered treasures safe from their grasp.
What are Porch Pirates?
Porch pirates are people who sneak around neighborhoods and take packages left outside of homes. With more shopping done online, these pirates have found a way to snatch unattended treasures right from your doorstep. They will often target houses that provide a quick in-and-out route, particularly if the porch or the location where packages are delivered is within 25 feet of the street and is visible.
Porch pirates can strike during any time of the year, but are often drawn to the holiday season, when packages pile up on doorsteps. They know these packages likely contain valuable items, making it the perfect time to grab something without anyone noticing.
How to Protect Yourself
Stopping or making it harder for thieves to steal packages can be done in different ways, depending on your residence, type, and your community. For example, preventing package theft in a city apartment is different from stopping it in a suburban neighborhood. Still, there are ways for you to discourage package theft, no matter where you live.
- Schedule Your Deliveries Wisely: Plan your deliveries when you or someone you trust will be home to receive them. This way, pirates won’t have an opportunity to steal your packages.
- Consider a Package Receiving Service: Some major retailers, such as Amazon, offer secure package receiving locations away from your home that you can access with a key or code. Some businesses also offer this service, allowing you to designate a different delivery location for your packages and the ability to pick them up on your way home.
- Ask for Signatures: When making a purchase, request that the delivery requires a signature. This ensures the package doesn’t end up in the wrong hands.
- Install Security Cameras: Visible security cameras can scare away porch pirates. Even if they strike, you’ll have evidence to help you catch them.
- Get to Know Your Neighbors: Building a strong community can be a powerful defense. If you’re away, a neighbor can keep an eye on your deliveries, and you can do the same for them.
If you’ve fallen victim to porch piracy, report it to your local police department and the delivery company. Some delivery services might provide insurance or other ways to give you back money for what you lost.